09 February, 2012

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers


I love bell peppers.
I love them in all colors, shapes and sizes.
(I also love the shadows in this picture which is why I super sized it.)

Peppers are so versatile and can turn a boring plate into a colorful creation. They can also serve as the main dish. I am a true sucker for any kind of stuffed pepper but rarely find recipes that I enjoy. I recently tried a recipe from Real Simple magazine that after a tiny bit of tweaking (replaced rice with quinoa and added more spices) I consider it a keeper. I think this dish makes an impressive presentation but don't be afraid to cut it open and let the goodness escape. Do not try to keep it all in tact while eating.

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers from Real Simple February 2012
(tweaked by SP)
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 pound ground beef
1 cup frozen corn
1 4.5 can chopped green chilies
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup cheese (your choice)
3 large bell peppers, halved lenghwise, ribs and seeds removed

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat and cook ground beef for a couple minutes. Add onion and cook until beef is no longer pink. Stir in corn, chilies, and spices. Remove from heat and add quinoa and 3/4 cup cheese. Stuff the beef mixture into the peppers and lay cut side up in a baking dish. Add 1/2 cup of water to the baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil, top with remaining cheese and bake until browned. Top with sour cream (or greek yogurt), salsa and avocado.