06 February, 2013

Broccoli Salad

It's time to come clean about a couple things:
I frequently try to spell broccoli with two l's and one c and have to "google" it. Every. Time.
I made this dish in November and I am posting it in February.

Now I didn't have to admit these things but I did. Because I am honest. And because the mini Christmas tree in the background of the picture may have given me away. And because someone from my family may have ratted me out that I made this dish for Thanksgiving.

Regardless, the broccoli salad is a hardy winter salad that can be made ahead of time and is also good leftover. This salad is made a number of ways and using varying amounts of sugar and mayo but the below recipe is how I generally like my broccoli salad (less sugar and mayo).


Broccoli Salad
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
1/2 cup almonds, toasted at 300 degrees for 8-10 minutes
8 cups of broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup mayo
1 tbsp sugar
1.5 tbsp vinegar (white vinegar or red wine vinegar)
1/4 tsp salt, or more to taste

Combine broccoli, almonds, red onion and dried cranberries. Add sugar, salt, vinegar and mayo. Taste and add more salt and mayo to your preference. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until serving.