03 August, 2010

The Turkey Sandwich

Why is it that when someone else makes you a sandwich or a salad it always tastes better? I have a memory of my sisters and me fighting for bites out of my mom’s salad bowl while she unsuccessfully tried to swat us away.
This simple plate is an inspiration from a sandwich my husband made for me three years ago when I sprained my ankle. I loved the crunch of the crisp romaine lettuce and so I decided to increase the crunch by taking the veggies that he served on the side and adding them to the sandwich. Whenever I am in need of a day off from the kitchen, I prop up my feet and make a request for this sandwich.


Two pieces wheat sourdough bread or any wheat bread
Roasted turkey from your local deli
Swiss cheese
Baby carrots, sliced in half lengthwise
Romaine lettuce
Radishes, sliced
Cucumber, sliced
Mayo
Mustard
Hummus


Mix your mayo and mustard together in a bowl and spread onto both sides of your toasted bread. (Why is it always better when you mix them?) Add a layer of romaine lettuce topped with carrots, radishes and cucumbers. Next, layer generous amounts of turkey, top with cheese and then the second bread. Cut in half and serve with the extra veggies and hummus.