31 August, 2010

Roasted Mushroom and Pepper Quesadillas

So the following story is a perfect example of how most of my meals are created:
It was late Sunday night and I had already accepted defeat and decided I had no motivation to cook dinner. In walks my cute husband returning from a weekend rafting trip looking awfully hungry and it broke my heart to have to tell him it was cereal night (although he loves cereal). I examined the contents of my fridge and saw the following: corn tortillas, bits and pieces of a yellow, red, and orange bell pepper left over from a weekend veggie tray; bits and pieces of a poblano pepper leftover from stuffed poblanos; one lonely portobello mushroom; and a partial bag of Mexican shredded cheese. And the story ends with roasted mushroom and pepper quesadillas and my cute husband and I living happily ever after. The End.

Makes 3-4 quesadillas
One portobello mushroom
¼ of a red, yellow, and orange bellpepper
¼ poblano pepper
Fajita seasoning
Olive oil
Corn tortillas
Mexican cheese blend shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dice mushrooms and peppers, combine with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp fajita seasoning. In a casserole dish, cook veggies for about 15-20 minutes until soft but not mushy. Brush olive oil on one side of corn tortillas. Using an indoor grill (sandwich press, quesadilla maker or skillet on the stove top), layer cheese and veggie mix on bottom corn tortilla and top with another corn tortilla. Grill until cheese is melted and tortilla is slightly crunchy. Cut into four and top with sour cream or greek yogurt and your favorite salsa.

 *Warning: If you overload your tortilla the cheese will seep out onto the grill and form a brown crunchy cheesy delicacy that hangs off the edges of the quesadilla that I like to call "heaven". See Exhibit A. Enjoy!
Exhibit A