05 September, 2010

Fig Toast

When I was a kid one of my Dad’s favorite snacks was figs. “Ewww figs,” proclaimed his three young daughters as he picked them off of Great Grandma Laura’s tree and popped them into his mouth. Now had we actually tasted the figs we might have changed our minds. Ohhh the irony that I am now a fig lover and yes admit to paying $3.00 for a small basket of them at the Farmer’s Market. The jokes on me Dad!

As an adult I find my palate is the complete opposite that it was when I was a child. I am not sure if it’s because I am tasting the foods I proclaimed to despise as a child or if my palate has actually changed. In any event, here is a simple recipe for enjoying my Dad’s favorite treat. Although I know he enjoys them right off the tree or cooked down into preserves; I hope he gives this a try.
This recipe will make about 4 toasts.
One basket black mission figs, 2 ounces feta cheese, olive oil, toast


 
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Rinse, slice figs in half and roast for 10-12 minutes in the oven. While the figs are roasting, drizzle bread with olive oil and put on the second shelf of the oven for about 5 minutes until toasty. Remove the toast and let set until the figs are complete. The figs are ready when they have warmed and began to let go of their juices. Top the toast with the figs and sprinkle with feta cheese. Put the toast back into the oven for about 5 minutes and then switch to broil for the last 2-3 minutes.