19 January, 2011

BBQ Salmon (Shrimp): Sleeping on a bed of quinoa

I apologize ahead of time for the length of this post that I have appropriately dubbed a novel.  

Chapter One: One of my goals this year is to try experimenting with new ingredients. I am using this goal to make new ingredient friends without abandoning my "BFF" ingredients. And with that being said, I have never cooked salmon. Say what? It's so SIMPLE. Now I know some folks have already decided that they don't like the intense taste of salmon which I understand. For me that feeling comes and goes depending on how its cooked (or not cooked, I love it raw). I recently had it BBQ'd and yum!

Chapter Two: Since I don't like my BBQ sauce with a side of high fructose corn syrup I was motivated to make my own. Say what? Fear not, it was simple. If you still insist you don't like salmon after trying barbecued then by all means please use shrimp in this recipe instead.


BBQ Sauce- Makes 10+ oz
(way more than you need so cut the recipe or get creative)
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 oz tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup + honey


Heat oil in a saucepan, add onion and cook for about 10 minutes then add garlic. Once garlic is fragrant, add tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire and soy. After liquids are combined, add chili powder, cumin, and red pepper. Next add mustard and honey. Simmer on low for about 20-30 minutes.
Sprinkle the salmon with salt and top with about 3 tablespoons of BBQ sauce. Put the salmon under the broiler and check it at 10 minutes and every 5 minutes after that. It usually takes between 12-20 minutes and you don't want to overcook it or it will be dry. Serve the salmon on top of the quinoa (see chapter three) with a side of avocado.

Chapter Three: I want to talk about quinoa (pronounced ˈkiːnwɑː). You can do your quick research on wikipedia . This amazing grain like product has been dubbed a "super food" by NASA due to its high protein and amino acids. The possibilities with this little guy are endless. Use it in the place of rice or any other grain, add it to salads, make it into a salad, or use it as a comfy bed. I promise to post specific ideas soon. Now, don't expect the taste to knock your socks off. Quinoa is a blank canvas like rice or pasta and you will ultimately determine the taste (no pressure). I should also note that it comes in different varieties/colors and my choice for this dish was red. Quinoa is becoming more readily available but if you can't find it boxed or in bulk at your local grocer you can buy online here.


Cooking Quinoa:
Rinse quinoa. Soak in cold water for 20 minutes or hot water for 10 minutes (this step can be skipped if you are short on time). Put quinoa in a saucepan and cover with water (2:1 ratio). Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer for 20 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.

You, me and quinoa lived happily ever after. The END.