23 February, 2011

Roasted Squash and Kale Tart


This tart is the perfect example of the circumstances that usually create dinner. This reoccurring scenario starts as I enter my “house” (in quotes because it is all of 600 square feet) after a long day at work. It’s cold outside and I hate going to the grocery store during the week. Let me remind you that I have a grocery store exactly 479 feet from my front door. This is no exaggeration as I found out from Google maps that the travel time of 59 seconds. Yes, I am aware how lazy this is. Moving on, I take a peek into my fridge and see leftover roasted squash from last night’s dinner and some fresh kale. I open the the freezer and a pie shell literally falls on to my foot. No other sign could confirm that tonight’s dinner will be a tart including roasted squash and kale. If you don’t loathe baking (as by now you know I do), I suggest you make a fresh pie shell instead of using frozen. I hear for those who do not have a baking handicap it is actually quite easy. You could also use puff pastry or forgo the dough and put the ingredients into a casserole dish. However, as I have noted with the turkey pot pie that if I put things in a pie shell, my family is more likely to try it. Weird? Whichever you choose, the flavors of the squash and kale are amazingly comforting and delicious.

In this recipe I used kabocha squash also known as a "Japanese pumpkin". Kabocha is easier to break down than other winter squash because the skin is tender enough to be eaten. It is a bit sweeter than butternut squash and tastes similar to sweet potatoes which would be a great replacement if you can't find the squash.






1.5 -2 cups of winter squash
1 bunch of kale (about 2 cups)
one clove garlic
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup feta
1/4 cup pecans
one pie shell

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash into cubes and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for about 20-30 minutes. While the squash is roasting, wash kale and chop. Heat one tablespoon of oil on medium heat and cook kale until wilted. Add one clove of garlic, remove from heat when fragrant and set aside. Combine one beaten egg, 2 tablespoons of milk and ¾ cup of feta in a bowl. Once squash is done remove it from the oven and break it down a bit with a fork. Combine kale, squash and egg mixture, add to the pie shell and top with pecans. Put into the oven for about 30 minutes or until pie shell is browned.