12 July, 2011

Wing It: One Year of Simple Plates

One year ago I started a project called Simple Plates. As I nervously pressed the publish button I wondered about the future of this project. Would I be able to keep it up for a year or longer? Would my ideas dry up or would the outlet help them flow? Would I enjoy it or would it become a burden? Would I get positive feedback or any feedback at all? I am known as a planner and am not much of a risk taker. I like to stay on the trail, follow an agenda, and have multiple contingency plans. The lesson learned is that while planning and analyzing works for most decisions there are times when we should just follow our hearts, trust our instincts and wing it.  My biggest reward has been the feedback received from my family, my friends and complete strangers. I hope that Simple Plates has provided something for you whether that may be dinner ideas ripe for tweaking, motivation to get into the kitchen, or just a bit of entertainment. Balance is my goal. Learning to appreciate the art of winging it just so happened along the way.

I have created a facebook page to celebrate the one year anniversary of Simple Plates. If you are a fan please "like" my new page and help pass on the word to others. Also, you can join as a Simple Plate follower by clicking the "join this site" button on the right and signing in with any email and password. Thank your for reading! Here are some favorites from the past year:
 
My Family's Favorite: Turkey Pot Pie
Favorite Summer Recipe: Corn Summer Salad
Favorite Rainy Day Recipe: Taco Soup
Favorite Recipe for large group: Back Pocket Lasagna
Favorite Picture : Slaw Dogs with Mango
Simplest of the Simple Plates: Egg Tomato Toast