28 September, 2011

Mediterranean Tilapia and Quinoa Salad

Girl meets boy. Falls in love. Gets married. Buys a tiny space in the city. When something needs attention, Girl and Boy call Maintenance Man.
Girl and Boy move to the country. Buy a HOUSE. When things need attention, Girl and Boy spend their days at Home Depot bonding over the "how to".

Oh my friends, I hope I didn't leave you hungry. While your imagination and mine placed me in my new fabulous kitchen stirring up creative ideas during my month of blogger silence, this scenario was a bit different than reality. I spent some time in the kitchen, yes. But mostly I spent time at the home improvement store of choice buying blinds and lawn tools; listening to the insulation company in the attic and the gutter company on my roof; bringing my husband Gatorade, shoveling and moving gravel, and loving every minute of it. Well most minutes of it.

Anyway, enough about me. Let's talk about you and how hungry you are for more Simple Plates. It doesn't get any easier (and healthy) than fish my friends. So light and fresh and so easy to flavor. And it just might leave room in your caloric budget for some dessert. That is if you have done some shoveling or any other type of physical activity today.

Mediterranean Tilapia and Quinoa Salad
2 fillets of tilapia
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1 lemon
1 cup of quinoa
1 cup of vegetable broth
1 cup of water
10-15 kalamata olives, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1/4 red onion, finely diced
1/4-1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Heat a small sauce pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and finely diced red onion. Saute onions for a couple minutes and then add 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 cup of water and 1 cup of quinoa. Stir the quinoa, bring liquid to a boil, turn to low heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Once the quinoa is done set aside in a bowl and let cool. Next add olives, cucumber and feta cheese and combine with quinoa. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, brush 1 tbsp olive oil onto tilapia fillets and add salt and oregano. Thinly slice some lemons and lay on top of the fish. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until fish is white and flaky. Serve fish immediately with a side of quinoa salad.