26 August, 2011

Mushroom, Spinach & Corn Stuffed Shells

I am kicking myself right now. (ouch) I made stuffed pasta shells about three weeks ago.  I cannot for the life of me find the notes I wrote on the recipe. So instead I present to you the "restimate". Yes, I made up that word.

Restimate: an estimate of ingredient measurements in a recipe with disclosure from the author that it may or may not be accurate. Now I will use it in a sentence: Please forgive me, but I have to admit that 50% of my recipes are actually restimates.

I would love to hear your creative variation to stuff the shells.
Beef, chorizo, seafood, eggplant? Bring it!

1/2 box of jumbo shell pasta (about 16 shells)
2 egg yolks, beaten
8 oz ricotta cheese
parmesan cheese
8 oz mushrooms, finely chopped in food processor
2 ears of corn,shucked
3 handfuls of fresh spinach
salt, pepper, oregano
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
*2 cups tomato sauce
*use this simple recipe


Partially cook your pasta for about 6 minutes until tender. The pasta will continue to cook in the oven. Drain shells and lay them out on a sheet pan not touching each other to cool. Add olive oil to a medium hot skillet and cook your spinach until wilted. Add garlic at the end, turn off heat, and drain water. Combine ricotta, egg yolks, parmesan, mushrooms, corn, spinach, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stuff about two tablespoons in each shell. Add tomato sauce to the bottom of a casserole dish, add stuffed shells, top with tomato sauce and cheese. Bake for about 20-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.