14 November, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts w/ Matchstick Sweet Potatoes and Red Onion

 
Before I started this blog I was hung up for quite some time on what to use for a name. I came up with Simple Plates very early on and kept tossing it around but didn't completely love it.  In hindsight, there is no other name that would have described how I cook, how I write, and how I live. And sometimes I think I need to remind my readers of why I named my blog as such.  Perhaps I should designate the difference between "Very Simple Plates" and "Simple Plates"; however, that would not be simple and so I will refrain.

I like my roasted veggies when they start getting that brown look to them. The red onion brings a suprise sweetness to this dish and smells amazing. The bit of time it takes to cut the potato into matchsticks is completely worth it and such a fun treat that can be eaten with your fingers right out of the bowl.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts w/ Matchstick Sweet Potatoes and Red Onion
(serves 2 as a side)
1/2 lb brussel sprouts
2 small sweet potatoes (one medium)
1/4 red onion

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and trim the ends off of your sprouts. Pull the outer leaves off and slice in half. Wash and peel your sweet potatoes and cut into very thin long matchsticks. Slice the red onion in thin long slivers. Toss all veggies with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for about 25-30 minutes. Eat.