03 April, 2013

Cabbage Ramen Salad

It is April and in some parts of the country it is "springish". It is time to step away from the comfort food, plant our gardens and fire up the grill.  I would like to take this month and focus on salads.

I love salads or slaw's made with crunchy, shredded cabbage. I have enjoyed a cabbage salad that has raw ramen noodles and an Asian dressing several times in my life. A majority of the recipes online use the flavoring packet that comes with the ramen noodles and I tend to enjoy my salads without a side of MSG. I did some research, combined some recipes, and came up with a dressing sans MSG. The ramen noodles add more crunch and are interesting.  However, I will understand if the idea of consuming ramen noodles in any capacity freaks you out a bit and urge you to try the recipe without them. 




Cabbage Ramen Salad (serves 4)
1/2 bag of shredded cabbage or tricolor slaw mix
1/4 cup carrots, chopped
1/4 cup radishes, chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or almonds)
1 bag uncooked ramen noodles, broken into bits

Dressing
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt (more to taste)
1.5 Tbsp sugar (more to taste)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1.5 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil

Combine salad ingredients. Mix dressing ingredients and taste. Per your taste, you may add a dash more salt or sugar. Dress salad and serve.