19 April, 2013

Steakhouse Egg Bake

In my last blog post I said I was going to focus on salads in the month of April. However, the ample April showers are throwing off my game. I am a "moodafoodie" and a "weatherfoodie" and I just made those terms up. It means my food cravings and cooking are inspired by my mood and the weather. It is hard for me to eat a salad on a rainy day. So I am not sharing a salad recipe today. Sorry!

Today I am expanding on the blog post  in which I revealed that you can take ANY leftovers from ANY restaurant,"throw eggs on it", and make a meal. Recently, my husband and I were treated to a great meal at a steak restaurant by a work colleague. At the end of dinner I tried to avoid eye contact as I casually started packing up the leftover creamed spinach, mushrooms, and bits of steak.  Do you see where I am going with this? Oh yeah. Steakhouse egg bake. I risked a little embarrassment for you and maybe just a wee bit for me. You are welcome!

Leftover Steakhouse Egg Bake
Serves 2-4 (depending on how much leftovers you have)
steak, chopped
creamed spinach
roasted mushrooms, chopped
red onion, sliced thinly
4 eggs
cheddar cheese, grated
2 white corn tortillas (or flour tortillas, or leftover bread, or potatoes, or fries)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray. Layer tortillas (or your carb of choice), spinach, mushrooms, steak and red onion. Break eggs on top and stir them up a bit with a fork. Drizzle a small amount of milk on top of the eggs to keep them from drying out. Top with cheddar cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the egg whites are cooked.
Chop


Layer


Bake and eat!