28 June, 2013

Fridge Clean Out Quiche



 When my fridge needs a good cleaning I will make a quiche/frittata and a salad. Confused? I am not talking about the cleaning of the fridge surface. I am talking about cleaning out of the small amounts of veggies, meats, cheeses, and grains that may have accumulated for the last week or so. You didn't throw those away, did you? I didn't think so! Not my readers!

Before we get started,  you may be wondering the difference between a quiche and a frittata. After limited research I am satisfied by the simple difference of a quiche is French and has a crust while a frittata is Italian and crust less. The similarities are combining eggs, cream or milk, and any other ingredient on hand and finishing it in the oven.

Here is what my most recent clean out looked like:
Crust:
1 cup of cooked quinoa (you can use rice or just skip the crust)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg
Mix the quinoa with the parmesan cheese and one egg. Layer the bottom of a cake pan with the mixture and bake on 375 for 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
Quiche:
6 eggs
3/4 cup of milk
salt and pepper
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1/2 cup of habanero spiced cheese cubes
Combine 6-8 eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and whatever you have cleaned out of your fridge. Pour mixture into your pan and cook on 350 for about 35-45 minutes or until eggs are set. The length of cook time will depend on how many eggs you are using and your ingredients.

Not bad for a fridge clean out!
Then I cleaned up some more by making this salad:
arugula, dates, almonds, corn, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper

Dinner served! Fridge cleaned! Grocery store trip needed..