29 April, 2011

Baked French Toast

If you know a little bit about me, you know that I believe in a balanced life. Especially when it comes to food and nutrition. I strongly believe there is room in one's diet for dessert on a birthday, a beer after work, or an afternoon piece of chocolate. A wise person once said "life is too short to skip dessert and too long to have large amounts of it everyday". Wait, that was me! I am not well versed in the rules on quoting yourself. Can that be done?

I recently made a baked french toast recipe for a leisurely weekend brunch. I found the original recipe here on one of my favorite food blogs. It's an easy throw together and since it's baked you won't have to stand over the skillet while it cooks. I feel like I should mention that I tried making a double batch of this for my family during the Easter holidays and it bombed. I'm not sure what I did wrong but these things happen and we pout and move on. The recipe above is the one shown in the picture (yum) and it was scrumptious as it looks. So go on, pour a second cup of coffee and linger over your weekend.

Serves 2-4

5 pc of bread (I used Nature's Own 100% whole wheat, sugar free bread)
2 eggs, beaten
1.5 cups milk
1tbs orange liqueur
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey
1tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
berries and maple syrup


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a 8x8 casserole dish, lay out two layers of bread. You may have to break some pieces to make them fit. Combine eggs, milk, orange liqueur, vanilla, honey, sugar, and salt. Pour mixture into the casserole dish making sure to soak each slice of bread. Top with pecans and a few sprinkles of cinnamon. Bake until bread is puffed (see picture) and the middle is the consistency you like your french toast (wet or dry). This will take between 30-40 minutes and varies depending on the oven. If you happen to go too long the maple syrup will take care of the dryness. Top with berries and make someone smile (it might just be you).