09 May, 2011

Stranded Shrimp Scampi (with a team of red pepper and asparagus)

When I was younger a team didn't really mean much to me except the other kids in my PE class who had the unfortunate luck of having me participate in their volleyball, basketball or softball game. In my older and wiser years I find myself thinking about teams and team work often in my everyday life. The day I married my husband we committed to be team members for life in every and all decisions and challenges that come our way.

A few weekends ago I was in an unusual situation in which after a minor accident I was stranded and in need of rescue. However, I was not alone. I had a team that consisted of the eternal optimist best friend, the supportive and intelligent husband, and the experienced and level headed father. After several uncomfortable hours and a lot of calm decision making we were safely rescued by an upbeat and persistent team of two. While stranded I kept thinking about how different this experience and every experience could be with a different team. I thought about how blessed we were that no one was seriously injured. I thought about how comfortable our daily living situations are. And lastly, of course I thought about cooking and trying new recipes. And while that brings me to the recipe below it also brings me to the conclusion that your life is only as safe, as comfortable, as challenging, as positive, as smart as the team you surround yourself with.

Shrimp Scampi, serves 3-4
Original recipe adapted from one of my favorite blogs written by Ree better known as The Pioneer Woman.

1.5 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp butter
1/2 white onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small red pepper, chopped
1/2 pound of asparagus, chopped into 1.5 inch pieces
1/2 pound of angel hair pasta cooked al dente
1/2 pound shrimp, cooked (I used boiled shrimp, you can broil in oven like this recipe)
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup white wine
2-3 shakes of hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil and butter in skillet on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and let cook for two to four minutes, add asparagus and red pepper and let cook for two to four minutes. Add shrimp, lemon juice, wine, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Once combined turn off heat and add parsley. Top with parmesan cheese and serve.


 A shrimp tale that also resulted from this same weekend:
Experienced and level headed Dad: These shrimp weren't too bad at $5/lb
Simple Plates: $5/lb! I just paid $8/lb the other day in my neighborhood
Eternal optimist best friend visiting from Cali: $8/lb! I paid $19.99 the other day!
Location, location, location.