25 May, 2011

Garden Summer Squash and Potato Pie

When I was a kid my Dad had a garden in our backyard. I didn't notice. I also didn't notice how amazing the Grand Canyon was when we went to visit. I was preoccupied with important kid things. Growing and killing our own food seemed very "country" to me and I would rather have Hamburger Helper, hold the veggies please.

Fast forward 20 years and a cross country move to California, I now prefer my food to be served from the garden, the farmer's market or the produce section, hold the meat please. I return to the South and  find my Dad hard at work keeping up my Grandfather's garden after his recent passing. Cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, tomatoes, cucumber, potatoes and squash. I drool at the sound of the "Farmer's Market" right in my Grandmother's front yard. I would love to bring my reusable bags and load up.

Why is it that we appreciate things more when we are older? Is there a way that I could get my future kids to appreciate a garden now and not when they are 30? Why do things taste different? Why do we now enjoy being around our parents? Why do we talk and care about the weather more? Why do we drive slower? I often hear people reminiscing and wishing they could be younger and go back to the "good old days". I disagree, personally I would like to be right where I am trying out a recipe using the squash and potatoes from my Grandfather's garden.

Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen, adapted from Bon Appetite June 2001

Serves 3-4 as a side dish
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound potatoes, peeled, cut into thin rounds
2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into thin rounds
3 teaspoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease one 8-inch-diameter cake pan. Toss cheese, flour, thyme, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend. Layer potatoes in bottom of pan, overlapping slightly. Next, make a layer of squash, drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with cheese mixture. Repeat until you reach the top and have enough room to finish with a layer of potatoes and the remainder of the cheese mixture. Press potatoes down to flatten. It will likely be about five or less layers. Cover pan with foil and bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 35 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until potatoes are tender and the top begins to brown, about 20 minutes longer.