16 May, 2011

The Tiny Sous-Chef and the Tortilla Scramble

A few weekends ago my parents and my 5 year old niece came to visit us in our new home (apartment). My niece was elated to discover we had a huge pool. She has been swimming like a fish since she was about 3 years old. I can't even begin to describe how much she loves swimming. I would not be exaggerating to say that she would swim all day, everyday if she could. On Sunday as she was saying her goodbyes I asked her what was her favorite thing about the weekend and she said "cooking with you". I was shocked and so very excited. My thought immediately turned to the rising percentages of childhood obesity. Could getting our kids in the kitchen be the answer or at least a stepping stone to a healthy relationship with food? Below is the recipe my niece and I cooked together.




Serves 4-5
8 eggs
1 tbsp skim milk
corn tortillas
1/2 large green bellpepper, diced
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
salt, pepper, salsa

Beat eggs with milk, salt, pepper, and set aside. Heat 1 tbsp butter on medium-high in a skillet. Working in batches, add tortillas and let cook for a minute or two on each side. They will get brown and crisp up a bit.  Once all tortillas are done, cut them into small triangles and set aside. Next add oil to a skillet on medium heat, add green pepper and let soften for about 4 minutes. Add eggs, let them set and continue to scramble. A minute or two before the eggs are done to your liking, add tortillas and cheese and combine. Remove from heat, top with salsa and serve.