17 November, 2011

Potato and Broccoli Soup

Today, I must complain. Yes, hold the phone. Today I will complain. Publicly. 
 
So my issue is the way some people treat the end of the year as one big rush to the finish line. A huge leap from October to December. I believe the retail industry may be partly to blame. Wait a minute Starbucks! Do you have Thanksgiving cups? Hold it Target! Halloween decor and Christmas lights don't mesh. We let them coax us into racing to the end without even a wave to October or a cozy fall meal in November. As soon as October 1st appears, the shotgun goes off and everyone is in competition to see who can get their Christmas tree up first.
 
Now I believe in letting folks do, say and think as they please. So go for it sprinters. Run! As for my me, I will jog. I will celebrate when October arrives with its first day of crisp, cool air. When November comes around the corner, I will cozy up to a comforting pot of soup (recipe below). And December. Ah yes, when December arrives I will brighten my home with lights and a tree and enjoy the walk to the finish line where I will meet those who arrived before me. (Starbucks and JC Penny)
 
Potato and Broccoli soup
Serves 4-5 as a meal 
4 tbsp butter
1/2 onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 small head of broccoli, chopped
6-8 yukon gold potatoes (3 russet potatoes), cut into small cubes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
pepper
1/2 cup white wine
1 quart vegetable stock
1/2 cup half and half
Precook the potatoes in the microwave for about 5-6 minutes or until you can put a fork through them. Heat a stock pot on medium heat and melt butter. Add onion and celery and saute for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and saute for 10 minutes. Add broccoli and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper and stir. Add white wine and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add vegetable stock, bring to a boil and simmer on medium for 30 minutes stirring frequently. After 30 minutes, break up the potatoes by using a big spoon and just mashing them against the side of the pot. An immersion blender or potato masher will also get the job done. Turn heat to low, add half and half and stir. Serve with cheese, green onions and bacon on top.