13 December, 2011

Fried Egg Bread

I have heard many times about a breakfast tradition that people remember as children involving a piece of bread with a hole in it and a fried egg in the middle. I thought surely this must have been an urgban legend since I never saw one of these and my family ate fried eggs and toast every morning. I finally set out to investigate this myth and what I found was truth. Fun, easy and yummy truth.

Fried Egg Bread (aka "Toad in the Hole")
1-2 tbsp butter
1 piece of toast
1 egg
Using a small glass, make a cirlce on the bread and use a knife to cut out the cirle. Melt butter in a hot skillet. Place the bread in the skillet for about 30 seconds and then crack the egg into the center. After the egg white is set, flip the bread and cook your egg to your preference. Remember to set the circle that you removed in the butter also and let it crisp up.

 Did someone make this dish for you growing up? What did you call it?


And if you are fancy like me, you can try to do four at a time: