14 December, 2011

Cauliflower Mac & Cheese

I got tricked. Yep, I got tricked into making a bechamel sauce or as most would call it, a white sauce. I am not be a huge fan of eating or making white sauce as you probably can tell from the amount of red sauces my dishes contain. I have my own reasons that I will not share except that they require standing over a stove and stirring for minutes at a time.

I have always wanted to make a mac and cheese with cauliflower. My Mom sent me a cauliflower fresh from my Grandmother's garden and I thought this was the perfect opportunity. I started with a  gratin recipe and decided to tweak from there. I guess you could say my heart was already in it before my mind realized what I had committed to. Before I knew it I was standing over a pot of butter and flour, waiting patiently to add the heated milk. Yikes! It was too late. I was making a "white sauce". So I gave in and finished. Don't get me wrong, it was creamy and comforting and delicious. Dang it, you tricky white sauce!

Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Adapted from
Smitten Kitchen, Adapted from Ina Garten
1/2 pound pasta
1 (3-pound) head cauliflower, cut into small florets
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups hot milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cup freshly grated white cheddar
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook pasta al dente and drain. Cook the cauliflower florets in a large pot of boiling salted water for 5 minutes, until tender and drain. Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the flour, stirring constantly with a spoon for 2 minutes. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture and stir until it comes to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until thickened. Off the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, cheddar and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan.
Pour pasta on the bottom of an 9 x 12 inch baking dish. Place the drained cauliflower on top and then spread the sauce on top. Combine the bread crumbs with the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan and sprinkle on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the gratin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is browned.