25 January, 2012

Return of the Taco Salad

One of my favorite meals growing up was what my family called "taco salad".  The way we served it was more of a taco and less of a salad. We cooked ground beef in taco seasoning and served it on top of Doritos (yep you heard me) with toppings such as lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa. I am pretty sure the reason behind this meal was that chips were less expensive than buying the prepackaged taco shells that other families were eating. At the time I secretly wished we had the shells. In hindsight, I am glad we didn't.

Recently I have returned to this childhood favorite but I have tweaked it for more of an adult taste.  The best thing about this dish is that everyone can fix their salad to their preference. In need of a lighter version, serve with more lettuce, less meat, and tweak your toppings. In need of a more hearty version, pile on the beef and cheese. You see where I am going with this. Go.

What is your favorite childhood meal?

Taco Salad Serves 3-4
1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
couple pinches of cayenne pepper
1 can pinto beans, rinsed
Yellow Corn tortilla chips
Romaine lettuce, chopped
cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream

In a medium sized skillet, brown ground beef on medium-high heat. (Drain if necessary and return to stove). Add onion and green pepper and saute for a few minutes. Add seasonings and a tbsp or two of water if there is no liquid left in your skillet. Turn heat to low, add beans and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve in a bowl with lettuce on the bottom, crush a small handful of tortilla chips on top, add ground beef, and top with cheese, salsa and sour cream.