07 May, 2012

Chill Out With Chicken Pasta Salad

When it starts warming up, I start to crave cool, light and refreshing plates. Seems natural, right?
I think so; however, some of my family members don't think like this. I have been at the beach sweating it out in the sun with my family when a conversation ensued about someone craving some type of stew (gumbo, chili). And most everyone else there agreed and chimed in with "yum". So I suppose I was the odd man out because that sounded like the last thing I wanted to eat. But that is okay. I love them and they love me and we are different. That is a fact.

Lately I have been making a chicken pasta salad served chilled. It works well for big groups and leftovers are even better the next day. Below is the recipe for the ingredients I found in my fridge/pantry.  This one seems to be Italian but you could do a Southwest version with corn, black beans, and cumin or an Asian version with snow peas, carrots, almonds and sesame oil. You can go around the world with this. Create!

And report back.
What do you put in your pasta salad?

Chilled Chicken Pasta Salad
Serves 4-5 as a meal
1 lb tri color rotini, cooked
1 lb chicken breast, poached
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
14 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp oregano
14 oz can of kidney beans
1 cup diced mushrooms
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
14 oz can black olives, sliced

Let pasta and chicken come to room temperature or cool in fridge. Cut chicken into bite size pieces or shred. Combine pasta, chicken, and veggies. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on top, add salt, garlic powder, oregano and parsley and toss. Top with shredded cheese if desired. Serve room temperature or out of the fridge.