31 May, 2012

Mango Almond Rice

I have diagnosed myself with "cooking fright". On those nights when it is just myself and Mr. SP I will easily knock dinner out of the park with a tasty dish we both enjoy. However, as soon as I invite a friend over for dinner or I am in charge of bringing a side dish to dinner, I freeze. My mind goes blank and I second guess myself every step of the way. What if my guests don't like seafood (broccoli, asparagus, cilantro, mango, etc). So I am currently treating this diagnosis by taking two chill pills a day (i.e. dark chocolate) and drinking plenty of water. And I think my treatment is working so today I will share a successful side dish I created for dinner at a friend's house. 

I prefer this dish served at room temperature so it is perfect for warm summer night cook outs.

 Mango Almond Rice
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
2 cups uncooked Jasmine rice*
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
4 tsp lemon juice
1 cup sliced almonds
1 mango, diced

Heat olive oil on medium and cook onions for 3-4 minutes. Add rice and stir for minute until mixed with oil and onions. Add broth, water, and lemon juice. Allow rice to come to a boil then turn to simmer on low for about 18-20 minutes until done. Remove rice from heat and once at room temperature add almonds and mango. Serve.


*Jasmine_rice is a long grain rice that is more flavorful and less sticky than white rice. This dish can be made with white or brown rice also.