01 August, 2012

August: Leftover Month

Yay! It is August and I have personally just declared August as "Leftover Month." This is my way of focusing my energies on sharing with you all the fun things you can do with leftovers. I absolutely HATE (I rarely use this word) wasting food. So I have become a self proclaimed expert of turning leftovers into a tasty new dish. So let's get started on dressing up last night's dinner!

Now, I don't know about you but I don't particularly enjoy leftover seafood. When seafood is reheated it tends to give off a slight fishy taste. However, a simple solution is to eat it cold and this seafood salad is the answer. I used leftover salmon and it came out wonderful but I immediately thought this recipe would be good with shrimp, crab, or any type of white fish. You can serve the salad on top of greens for a meal or use it as an appetizer piled on a tasty baguette or fancy cracker.


Seafood Salad
(adapted from Simply Recipes with a few minor SP tweaks)
Serves 2-3 as a salad. Serves 4-6 as an appetizer

1.5 cups seafood
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
juice of lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
1 splash vinegar (champagne, white wine or red wine)
1 tbsp dried dill *
salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
*The dill went really well with the salmon but I would imagine other herbs like parsley, oregano, curry powder, or basil doing the job also. Play around with it and see what you get.