13 August, 2012

Leftovers? Throw Some Eggs On It!

Original Baked Eggs
A year or so ago I shared a recipe for Baked Eggs that I use often for weekend brunch or week night dinner. One weekend my brilliant husband suggested we use our restaurant leftovers from the night before to make the baked eggs. These leftovers just so happened to be Mexican. The brunch just so happened to be spectacular.
 
What evolved from there was a very tasty experiment. We love to "throw some eggs on it" and taste what happens. We have used leftover burritos and tortilla chips, pizza and french fries, Cuban sandwiches in Key Largo, fried okra in Alabama.  I will admit there are times when I doubt the outcome. And it turns out great. Every. Single. Time.
 
Some friends of mine recently sent me a picture of their "Greek Baked Eggs".
We are starting a frenzy!
Don't be scared.
"Throw some eggs on it" and send me a picture!
 
Leftover Baked Eggs
Serves 2-3 (add eggs and leftovers to serve more)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the bottom of a casserole dish. Add and layer your leftovers.
Crack 2-3 eggs on top and break the yolk. Splash a bit of milk on the eggs to keep it from drying out. Top with cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until eggs are done.
Fried Okra Baked Eggs
Mexican Baked Eggs